Benjamin Bullers

TNP2

Created

Hi all

If an employer hasn't negotiated the cost of the EPA at the start of the programme, should we be estimating this cost and adjusting the TNP1 accordingly to try and ensure we don't go over the funding band maximum? Also the TNP1 will need to match the negotiated cost of training in DAS, so I'm assuming that when the EPA cost is agreed and we can enter the TNP2 in the ILR, the employer will need to increase the negotiated cost of training within their DAS account by the same figure or it will give us a DLock_07?

Just trying to get my head round the process we need to follow.

Many thanks

:-)

Replies

No one has replied to this post.


Ruth Canham-James

You've never been allowed to estimate the Assessment price, but the 22/23 rules have clarified;

P96.1 The employer and the end-point assessment organisation agree the
price of the end-point assessment (which is entered by the provider in
field TNP2 on the ILR only when the actual cost is known; estimate
costs must not be entered).

Yes, you have to get the employer to agree the price twice in the DAS if you don't know the assessment price up front. You just enter your Training price to start, then when you add the Assessment price, it will lock and they have to approve again.

If the Assessment price ends up being less than expected, you shouldn't increase the Training price to meet band maximum (it would be hard to explain to the employer, why you'd just hiked the price). If the Assessment price ends up being so high it takes your total price over the band maximum, based on the new rules for next year, you'd only be able to report a price up to the band maximum, so I guess you'd just report an Assessment price lower than reality? Alternatively, you'd have to add TNP2 and add a new, lower, TNP1. That's something we should probably get clarified.

Benjamin Bullers

Thanks Ruth

We obviously know what the EPAO's are charging at the time of enrolment but for long duration standards such as Engineering we can't guarantee that the current price will not have changed in 3 years time when we come to register them and then book them in, so we would have to wait until the price is confirmed.

Can i ask what other people do in regards to registering / booking the EPA's? Do you encourage employers to do this as early as possible  or do you wait until the apprentice is closer to the 6 months before gateway? We wait but I'm not sure if that is the best policy.

Many thanks

Ben

Ruth Canham-James

We certainly try and get the employer to pick the EPAO and agree a price before the apprentice starts. I don't actually deal with the EPAO registrations, but I think it varies wildly from EPAO to EPAO. I know some insist we register within 6 months of the start date (even on a two year apprenticeship), and we pay some up front, some later on. Sometimes there may have been a loose agreement, which I suppose could then change, but I'd still enter that value from the start. It would be more than an estimation, it would be "the correct information to the best of my knowledge".

We do have a scenario where one EPAO offers a discount if you put two apprentices through at once. We won't know for sure until very close to the gateway whether we'll have two ready to complete at the same time. So, I've just put the higher price down as the Assessment price, as that is what has been agreed, but there's a chance we'll need to reduce it later on if we get a late discount.

Benjamin Bullers

That's brilliant Ruth, many thanks for your help.

:-)